Skip to main content

Upgrading your SSIS Management Framework: Part 1

Background

Before SQL Server 2012, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) had no built-in logging, auditing, and configuration framework.  All of the pieces were available to build your own, but everyone ended up doing that just a little bit differently.  Most of us consultants came up with our own variation to implement at client sites and ensure that all of those functions at that one client were the same.  I'm especially proud of the framework that Rushabh Mehta and I developed that is published in Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services: Problem, Design, Solution (SSIS PDS) and implemented by many others as well.

Along came SSIS 2012, when Microsoft realized this "multiple-different frameworks" spread was happening, and thought "how cool would it be if we could standardize the framework so ALL our clients have the same one".  This would not only reduce initial development time of the framework, but also ensure that upgrades and future maintenance would go smoothly. Coinciding with (or perhaps due to) this decision, Microsoft moved the execution of SSIS packages to run inside of SQL Server.  Having a consistent framework is wonderful, and I'm a big fan of using the consistent built-in framework.

Upgrade Options

However, what do you do if you've already implemented a custom framework, similar to one in SSIS PDS?  There are a couple of options:

  1. Move lock, stock, and barrel to the new framework. To do this, you would have to upgrade all existing packages, remove the components that logged to the framework, and change your configurations schema to use parameters.  This means that you would never have to worry about upgrading your framework again because Microsoft will take care of it.  On the other hand, you would lose ties to your existing log records.  If you have a small number of packages or you have only used a custom framework for a short amount of time, I would recommend this option.
  2. Stick with what you've got. This option is the most easy to implement, but provides the least amount of value.  The new SSIS framework contains much more logging than most of the custom frameworks, and when a package fails and you don't know why, mo' logging = mo' better.  I do not recommend this option.
  3. Use a hybrid approach, which the potential to phase out the custom framework in the future.  This option includes a little bit of up-front work, but will be maintainable (and hopefully enhanced!) in future SSIS versions.

Okay, let’s do it!

Next week, we'll look at how to implement the hybrid approach based on the PDS framework.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SSIS Configuration to Configuration to Configuration Schema

I've gotten several requests to put down in writing the configuration schema that I use as the base of my SQL Server Integration Services framework. It contains a set of configurations: an indirect environment variable configuration, which points to an XML configuration file configuration, which points to a SQL Server configuration. I learned this configuration from the Project REAL Reference Implementation . If you're getting started with a BI implementation, I highly recommend that you download it for some great ideas and best practices. Steps to implement: 1) Create an environment variable on your machine with the name of SSIS_CONFIG_FILE and the value of: C:\SSIS\Config\MasterConfigFile.dtsConfig. 2) Create an SSIS configuration file at C:\ SSIS\Config\MasterConfigFile.dtsConfig with the line: <configuration valuetype="String" path="\Package.Connections[CONFIG_SERVER].Properties[ConnectionString]" configuredtype="Property"><configuredv

Execute SQL Task Designer Limit

After migrating a package from DTS to SSIS, I had a problem with an Execute SQL Task. I couldn't change any characters in the SQLStatement property; I couldn't add any new characters; I could delete characters, but not retype them! After googling several variations of "integration services" "read only" and "Execute SQL Task", I deleted about half of the entry in a fit of frustration. Lo and behold, I could type again. Apparently, there is limit on the size or number of characters that can be entered in the SQLStatement property. From my experimentation, I came up with a limit of 32767 characters. The interesting thing is that the restriction only seems to be on the designer. If you set the SourceType to "Variable" and use a variable that contains more than 32767 characters, the task will execute. Also, if you use the "Direct Input" SourceType and modify the package XML to set the SQLStatement longer than 32767 characters,

Reporting Services 2008 Configuration Mistake

To start working with the management side of SQL Server Reporting Services 2008, I decided to set up a report server and report manager. Unfortunately, I made a mistake while setting up my configuration that left me a little perplexed. Here are the steps I took to cause, track down, and solve the issue. Problem: I began by opening the Reporting Services Configuration Manager from the Start Menu. I clicked through each of the menu options and accepted the defaults for any question with a warning symbol, since warning symbol typically designate an action item. After two minutes, all of the warning symbols had disappeared, and I was ready to begin managing my report server. Unfortunately, opening up a browser and trying to open up the report manager resulted in the dreaded " The report server has encountered a configuration error. (rsServerConfigurationError) " message. Sherlock-ing it: I put on my sleuthing hat and went to the log file directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft