Skip to main content

Accidental SharePoint Designer 101

I fully profess to know little to nothing about SharePoint, but I occasionally get pulled into setting up little sites or adding web parts for some of my reporting and business intelligence work.  Each time, I have to relearn the start-up steps to create what is needed!  So I decided to record a few of my go-to places so I can remember next time.  I used SharePoint 2010 to document the below steps, but the directions may be applicable to other versions.  Also, these steps assume you have full control of your site.

Getting Started

The first step is start editing the page rather than looking at it like an end user.  Do this by:

  1. Select the Page tab at the top of the screen
  2. Click the Edit Page button/drop down list
  3. Select the Edit Page option

PS. When you're done, do these same steps, except select the "Stop Editing" button.

Content Creation

You may need to create a document library, a list, or another type of container.  I like to create my content first because it makes the design portion later. To do this:

  1. On the Site Actions menu in the top left corner, select the appropriate content creation option:
    • New Document Library
    • New Site
    • More Options
  2. Specify the important info, and be sure you're happy with the view of everything

Web Part Addition

As long as you're in editing mode, this is straightforward: Just select the Add a Web Part link where you want your web part.

PS. this is where creating your content comes in handy because you can select your content without having to pick the web part type.

Web Part Editing

To make any changes to the web part, such as style, name, or option, you can do that in the page itself.  To do this:

  1. In editing mode, hover your mouse over the web part you want to modify
  2. On the right side of the toolbar (at the top of the web part, next to the title), click the down arrow
  3. Click the Edit Web Part menu option
  4. On the right side of the screen, make any setting changes you would like, and be sure to select the OK button at the bottom.

Color and Style

Next, we want to make the color and style to match either the rest of the system or to match our own colors! Change this by:

  1. On the Site Actions menu in the top left corner, select the Site Settings option
  2. Under the Look and Feel section, click the Site theme link
  3. Either inherit your parent's theme, specify your own theme, or customize your color options

Left Navigation Menu

My usual goal is to make the page look less "SharePoint-y", which includes removing the items from the left navigation menu and making links to other sites or pages within the site.  You can change the menu by:

  1. On the Site Actions menu in the top left corner, select the Site Settings option
  2. Under the Look and Feel section, click the Navigation link
  3. Scroll down to Navigation Editing and Sorting and have fun playing!

Security

Hopefully, someone is going to use the page that you just put so much time and energy into!  So we need to give those people access.  Do this by:

  1. On the Site Actions menu in the top left corner, select the Site Permissions option
  2. Give access to either Windows or SharePoint groups and decide what permission they get

PS. It is important have a good security plan in place, and hopefully you can work with your SharePoint administrator on this.

Good luck if you end up an "accidental SharePoint designer" like me!

Comments

QuiTec said…
Thank you for sharing such a useful article. I had a great time. This article was fantastic to read. Continue to publish more articles on, keep it up. SharePoint: Configure Navigation Links to Open in a New Tab

Popular posts from this blog

SSIS Configuration to Configuration to Configuration Schema

I've gotten several requests to put down in writing the configuration schema that I use as the base of my SQL Server Integration Services framework. It contains a set of configurations: an indirect environment variable configuration, which points to an XML configuration file configuration, which points to a SQL Server configuration. I learned this configuration from the Project REAL Reference Implementation . If you're getting started with a BI implementation, I highly recommend that you download it for some great ideas and best practices. Steps to implement: 1) Create an environment variable on your machine with the name of SSIS_CONFIG_FILE and the value of: C:\SSIS\Config\MasterConfigFile.dtsConfig. 2) Create an SSIS configuration file at C:\ SSIS\Config\MasterConfigFile.dtsConfig with the line: <configuration valuetype="String" path="\Package.Connections[CONFIG_SERVER].Properties[ConnectionString]" configuredtype="Property"><configuredv

Execute SQL Task Designer Limit

After migrating a package from DTS to SSIS, I had a problem with an Execute SQL Task. I couldn't change any characters in the SQLStatement property; I couldn't add any new characters; I could delete characters, but not retype them! After googling several variations of "integration services" "read only" and "Execute SQL Task", I deleted about half of the entry in a fit of frustration. Lo and behold, I could type again. Apparently, there is limit on the size or number of characters that can be entered in the SQLStatement property. From my experimentation, I came up with a limit of 32767 characters. The interesting thing is that the restriction only seems to be on the designer. If you set the SourceType to "Variable" and use a variable that contains more than 32767 characters, the task will execute. Also, if you use the "Direct Input" SourceType and modify the package XML to set the SQLStatement longer than 32767 characters,

Reporting Services 2008 Configuration Mistake

To start working with the management side of SQL Server Reporting Services 2008, I decided to set up a report server and report manager. Unfortunately, I made a mistake while setting up my configuration that left me a little perplexed. Here are the steps I took to cause, track down, and solve the issue. Problem: I began by opening the Reporting Services Configuration Manager from the Start Menu. I clicked through each of the menu options and accepted the defaults for any question with a warning symbol, since warning symbol typically designate an action item. After two minutes, all of the warning symbols had disappeared, and I was ready to begin managing my report server. Unfortunately, opening up a browser and trying to open up the report manager resulted in the dreaded " The report server has encountered a configuration error. (rsServerConfigurationError) " message. Sherlock-ing it: I put on my sleuthing hat and went to the log file directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft